Rearview Mirror is a 12-part series. Each of the 12 posts represents one month of life on the road, an ode to the last 31 days. Buckle up and hang on to those armrests with all you’ve got, we’re going fast.
We rounded out July in Alaska with our sights set on the lower 48 for the first time in about a month. But life had other plans…. We ended up spending the month driving back through Canada, flying to Puerto Rico, and flying home to Florida for a quick visit. We didn’t knock out any new states this month but we’re unapologetic about it. It looks like we might have to do some serious driving the next few months!
HERE’S THE NUMERICAL BREAKDOWN OF OUR EIGHTH MONTH ON THE ROAD:
Showers Taken: 20
Almost every day!
Meals Eaten Out: 32
Local favorites in Seward, arepas in Puerto Rico, and our favorite spots in Florida.
Nights in a Real Bed: 11
Plenty of hotels this month. Even a few days in our own beds at home!
Miles Driven: 3,271
The road is home.
States Visited: AK, FL (+ Canada & Puerto Rico)
Coming to a town near you.
Photos Taken: 4,114
Justin: 1,986 | Adam: 2,128
HERE ARE A HANDFUL OF THE HIGHLIGHTS:
- We strapped on crampons for the first time and hiked a glacier in Alaska!
- A fat puffin couldn’t fly while we were on a whale watching cruise.
- We gave each other haircuts on the Alaska Highway.
- Jasper National Park made us wake up early to beat the crowds.
- Jolene had a bad day.
- Music taste is not something the Fricke brothers share. Except for this concert.
- Merrell asked us to be models for a photoshoot in Puerto Rico. (We’re just as confused as you are.)
- We decided to go home to Florida.